This site is maintained by the Department of Computer Science & Engineering’s Inclusiveness, Diversity, Equity, and Advocacy (CS-IDEA) Committee. CS-IDEA holds open bi-weekly meetings during the academic year. If you are interested in how we can together make the CS&E Department and the field of CS in general more inclusive, diverse, and equitable, then please join us! Find our next meeting time/location along with links to other relevant activities on campus and beyond in our Calendar.
2020-21 Committee Members:
Ancy Tom, Crystal King, Daniel Keefe (chair), Debarati Das, Eman Ramadan, Favonia, Loren Terveen, Maria Gini, Ashmita Sarma, Luc Nelson, Allison Small
To attract and retain diverse students, staff, and faculty in computer science and engineering and help all students, staff, and faculty thrive within the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota.
What We Mean By Diversity
We recognize our department’s responsibility to serve and support the following individuals and groups:
- American Indians and other indigenous populations
- People of color, including underrepresented groups and new immigrant populations
- People with both apparent and non-apparent disabilities
- People who identify as women
- People of various gender and sexual identities and expressions
- First-generation students
- Students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds
We also address issues of access and climate for individuals who might encounter barriers based on their religious expression, age, national origin, ethnicity, or veteran status. Furthermore, we recognize the importance of working with people who claim more than one of the above identities.